Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 16, 2024

What's in a name

  

Just half a block ahead, the house

Where surreal was named, 

Only blocks from where she was born 30 years ago.

The sun sets, brilliant may evening, 

Over West hills, I imagine Maui 

2500 miles away, isis born 24 years ago.

Daisies in the lawn this time of year 

Beautify the lush spring grass around me. 

To my right only half a mile, 

Our Mesa was born almost 22 years ago. The house repainted looks the same.  

Sun sets, the air warm and golden.

I stand and stuff my picnic away for a short bike to a tavern. It's just a hop away, if my age will comply I'd be delighted. 

Born at homes all three, one 

Rented we lived in; the next, owned by our wealthy midwife; the last, the midwife's rental she'd moved from the island to be 

On mainland. The daisies partly in twilight thrive.  

Mothers comfortable with nature 

And skill, and health, and fortune 

Forsook a hospital in their unsick delivery, landlord's surprise.

One died of asthma in his driveway, literally, only a couple months later

One both landlady and midwife 

Gave the shirt from her back to clad us in clapboards victorian.

It's not the sun that reaches Maui,

Rather the ocean 

time beams to us in shelter. 




 

May 16

SE Portland 


(All three girls were named in their birth homes....only Surreal's name occured to me prior to birth) 











No comments: